An automation specialist helps improve an organization’s operating systems. He/she reviews, tests, repairs and maintains these systems.
Operating mechanisms include computer systems and networks, as well as manufacturing processes.
Duties Of An Automation Specialist
Automation specialists provide help and advice to people and organizations using computer software or equipment.
Computer network support specialists typically do the following:
- Test and evaluate existing network systems
- Perform regular maintenance to ensure that networks operate correctly
- Troubleshoot local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and Internet systems
Computer user support specialists typically do the following:
- Pay attention to customers’ descriptions of their computer problems
- Ask customers questions to properly diagnose the problem
- Walk customers through the recommended problem-solving steps
- Set up or repair computer equipment and related devices
- Train users to work with new computer hardware or software, such as printers, word-processing software, and email
- Provide other team members and managers in the organization with information about what gives customers the most trouble and about other concerns customers have
How To Become An Automation Specialist
A bachelor’s degree is required for some computer support specialist positions. However, an associate’s degree or post-secondary classes may be enough for others.
Education requirements for computer support specialists vary. For a career as a computer user support specialist, it may require some computer knowledge. However, a post-secondary degree may not be necessary. Likewise, applicants who have taken some computer-related classes are often qualified. On the other hand, many companies accept applicants with an associate’s degree, for a career as a computer network support specialist. However, some prefer applicants to have a bachelor’s degree.
Furthermore, large software companies often require a bachelor’s degree. Hence, positions that are more technical are likely to require a degree in a field such as computer science, engineering, or information science. Consequently, for others, the applicant’s field of study is less important.
However, education must be continuous. The never-ending changes that occur in technology is unavoidable, Therefore, to keep up with these changes, there is a need for continuous education in this field.
Certification programs are generally offered by vendors. Also from vendor-neutral certification providers. Moreover, certification validates the knowledge of and best practices required by computer support specialists. Hence, companies may require their computer support specialists to hold certifications in the products the companies use.
Most computer support specialists advance to other information technology positions. For instance, network and computer systems administrators and software developers. Hence, some become managers in the computer support services department. In addition, some organizations provide paths for support specialists to move into other parts of the organization.
Qualities Of An Effective Automation Specialist
- Customer-service skills: Computer support specialists must be patient and sympathetic. They must often help people who are frustrated with the software or hardware they are trying to use.
- Listening skills: Support workers must be able to understand the problems that their customers are describing and know when to ask questions to clarify the situation.
- Problem-solving skills: Support workers must identify both simple and complex computer problems, analyze them, and solve them.
- Speaking skills: Support workers must describe the solutions to computer problems in a way that a nontechnical person can understand.
- Writing skills: Strong writing skills are useful for preparing instructions and email responses for employees and customers, as well as real-time web chat interactions.
The trend in technology call for the demand of more job opportunities in the field of automation and computers. Therefore, more people, especially millennial ones, pursue careers in the said field.
Aside from the demand, the pay for these kinds of jobs are good. In fact, it is one of the highest paid jobs today. So, why not give automation a chance and pursue a career in computer technology.