Test summary report is a document that records data obtained from an evaluation experiment in an organized manner. Hence, describes the environmental or operating conditions, and shows the comparison of test results with test objectives.
What is a Test Summary Report
It is a document which contains summary of test activities and final test results. After the testing cycle it is very important that you communicate the test results. And findings to the project stakeholders so that decisions can be made for the software release.
As one of the most important deliverable, the significance of test summary report is immense in software development life cycle (SDLC). Prepared after the completion of the testing process, this report consist of all the necessary information related to the process of software testing as well as the results delivered by it.
Features of Test Summary Report
- Offers information about the various activities performed during the testing process.
- Summarizes the results of all testing efforts.
- Prepared by the test leads or test managers.
- Test managers prepare this document at the end of the testing project.
Contents of a Test Report
All information of the project such as the project name, product name, and version should be described in the test report. The document offers details about the project, along with a description of its name, its version, product name, date and time, etc.
Another important detail included in the document is the purpose of testing. Test reports created for different tests define different objective of testing. Hence, here the test type and its purpose is defined. For example, the purpose of testing for unit testing will be different from that of performance and functional testing.
Once the test objective is defined, the team offers a summary of the testing process. This includes details about the number of test cases executed, passed, failed, and blocked along with the comments provided by the testers.
This section includes the summary of testing activity in general. Information detailed here includes
- The number of test cases executed
- The numbers of test cases pass
- The numbers of test cases fail
- Pass percentage
- Fail percentage
This information should be displayed visually by using color indicator, graph, and highlighted table.
One of the most important information provided in the document/report is details about the defects found by the team during the testing process. Here, the total number of bugs found by the team, their status, number of bugs open, resolved & closed, as well as their severity and priority is mentioned.
Since defect is one of the most important section of a test report, the report should contain following information.
- Total number of bugs
- Status of bugs (open, closed, responding)
- Number of bugs open, resolved, closed
- Breakdown by severity and priority
Typical Benefits of a Test Summary Report
- Project management and the customer are informed of the current status of project testing.
- Project management and the customer are informed of the current status of application quality
- Furthermore, the project management and the customer can take corrective action if necessary.
The definition of a Test Summary is as simple as the name suggests. Also known as a Test Closure Report, it provides stakeholders with a condensed account of the overall test results, defects and connected data following a test project.
A test summary report from a previous job of your own can also serve as a template to help you write a proposal-winning example document. Test summary reports also give input on testing coverage, which can be a weighty factor when interacting with potential new clients.