Hardware and Home Improvement (HHI) is a major manufacturer and supplier of residential locksets, residential builders’ hardware, faucets, and commercial locksets and doors, with a portfolio of renowned brands, including Kwikset®, Weiser®, Baldwin®, National Hardware®, Stanley®, FANAL®, Pfister™, EZSET®, and Tell. HHI is a leader in its key markets with #1 positions in U.S. residential locksets (Kwikset), Canada residential locksets (Weiser), U.S. luxury locksets (Baldwin), and U.S. builders’ hardware (Stanley-National Hardware), #2 in Mexico residential hardware (Fanal), #3 in U.S. retail plumbing (Pfister), and #1 in U.S. retail commercial locksets. Headquartered in Orange County, California, HHI has a global sales force and operates manufacturing and distribution facilities in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and Asia. HHI is a division of Spectrum Brands Holdings, Inc.
The Senior Advanced Quality Engineer (AQE) will elevate quality as competitive advantage and drive brand loyalty by ensuring high product quality from design through production. The AQE will direct product, process and design quality and will advance leading practices to provide predictable results and excellent customer experiences. The AQE plays a key role in the New Product Introduction (NPI) Milestones relating to Quality. The AQE actively coaches NPI QA through the strategic development and implementation of applicable quality tools and directs critical milestones throughout the NPI cycle. The AQE provides leadership in product process and reliability functions related to internal factories and suppliers. The AQE establishes metrics and leads gathering, analyzing, reporting, prioritization of related actions for key metrics to cross-functional teams.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- (20%) Directs and prioritizes quality functions for New Product Introduction / Program launch per HHI’s Milestone Processes in a multi-function environment.
- (20%) Leads strategic effectiveness and implementation of the Product Quality functions and process: Voice of the Customer analysis, customer field data analysis, participate in engineering Design For Manufacturability reviews and Critical to Quality/ Rick identification , Control Plans, FMEA, Capability Analysis, 5F’s, FAI’s and reliability testing.
- (10%) Multi-functional coaching and direction for high level of urgency, ownership , and effectiveness of Corrective and Preventive Actions using appropriate DMAIC Six Sigma methodology as quality excursions arise either in the field or at a HHI plant or at a supplier.
- (10%) Provide guidance and corporate direction for other HHI Quality Engineering Teams in US, Mexico and Asia to ensure that corrective and preventive actions are properly validated and new products meet customer requirements.
- (10%) Lead and execute Tear Down Failure Analysis activities on failure returns from the field and generate appropriate Failure Analysis reports.
- (10%) Develop, train, Implement, audit and validate components, finished goods, and all associated process controls in support of the NPI/Sustaining projects across our business and supplier base.
- (10%) Manage suppliers domestically and internationally as required to baseline supplier production and quality systems and propose related system improvements.
- (5%) Proactive leadership in reviewing quality data and identification of trends affecting quality, warranty costs and Strive for 5 Customer Satisfaction. Establish Metrics to meet future QA vision and mission goals.
- (5%) Prioritize, Lead and Direct multiple projects focused on functional business processes that influence customer satisfaction, waste elimination, growth, cost effectiveness, and product/system quality.
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor’s in Electronics, Material Science, Mechanical, Industrial, Process Engineering or closely related.
- Masters in Engineering or MBA preferred.
- 7-10 years plus combined electronic quality manufacturing, engineering, operations, with proven cross-functional skills.
- Minimum 5 years Printed Circuit Board (PCB), Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) quality and qualification experience.
- Electronic Component, In Circuit Test (ICT), Functional Test (FCT) implementation and validation experience required.
- Multi-functional Project/ Program Management leadership in a matrix organization preferred
- IPC 600 / 610 certifications preferred
- Certified Black Belt or equivalent preferred
- ASQ Certified Quality Engineer preferred
- PMP – Project Management Certification Preferred
- Multi-functional Project/ Program Management leadership in a matrix organization
- Printed Circuit Board (PCB), Printed Circuit Board Assembly (PCBA) quality and qualification experience.
- Electronic Component, Surface Mount (SMT) PCBA production, electrical test and assembly manufacturing experience required.
- Experience in electronics assembly failure analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to recommend and implement design quality and process control improvements.
- Ability to read technical drawings, understand and implement control plans, inspection plans, and value improvement efforts
- Extensive knowledge of GD&T measurement instrumentation, including optical and handheld measuring equipment.
- Proven experience using 8D and/or DMAIC lean six sigma methodology for closing Corrective & Preventive Actions.
- Proven experience leading and facilitating cross functional Kaizen/Workshops on new product or process
- Preferred experience with Design for Six Sigma Tools (QFD, CTQ Flowdown & Measurement Systems, DOE, DFR, DFM, etc)
- Experience with APQP process (PPAPs, Control Plans, FMEA, etc) is preferred
- Excellent leadership & interpersonal skills along with the ability to work with others positively.
- Strong communicator both written and oral.
- Estimated percentage of travelling required can be 25% (including international)
Working conditions are normal for an office environment. However, travel conditions include prolonged flights, car travel, and other exposures such as unusual weather or food, as expected during international travel.
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job/classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Spectrum Brands is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Job Reference: US11144
This job was first published here.