Application lifecycle management talks about the processes, models, and tools that manage an application from idea conception through the end of life. It is a strategy that drives product innovation and profitability. It includes the management of the software development lifecycle (SDLC), which is composed of requirements management, design, test, release management, code, and software maintenance. Yet, it goes beyond SDLC and includes management of governance and operations processes. Also, facilitate adherence to software development processes and help to provide an integrated approach to application development.
Modern software development processes are not limited to the discrete ALM/SDLC steps managed by different teams using multiple tools from different locations. It includes real-time collaboration, access to the centralized data repository, cross-tool, and cross-project visibility. Hence, better project monitoring and reporting are the keys to develop quality software in less time.
This has given rise to the integrated application lifecycle management or integrated ALM, where the tools and tools’ users are in sync with each other throughout the application development stages.
Integration ensures that each team member knows Who, What, When. Why of any changes made during the developing process, and there is no last-minute surprise causing delivery delays or project failure.
Benefits of ALM
The standard benefits offered by the right ALM Software include Visibility, Information, Agility, Traceability, Quality. The ability to support a set of development tools across the software development lifecycle to enable different functions – product owners/ business and functional analysts, developers, testers, architects, DBAs, DevOps – to use the tools of their choice which work best for them in their own functions is critical for any technology organization.
Here is the list of some examples of benefits of ALM
- It automates all of the Development, Quality, Project, and Resource Management metrics in a unified Dashboard. This might be critical to a product team or the overall organization’s demonstration of quality and agility.
- An essential benefit of an ALM solution is that it helps different roles in the SDLC use the tools of their choice.
- An ALM solution offers the high-visibility, high-transparency, collaborative environment that helps you showcase what you do to your customers. It provides them with early and constant visibility of the work you do. Also, collaborate to help them define their real requirements.
- This is also mainly an advantage in IT services/ consulting organizations. Companies must keep their people motivated, learning, and productive to maximize the delivery of services and value to customers.
- A good ALM solution assists in developing collaborative, transparent, mature relationships between Business and IT. Also, between Product Management and Engineering. And between Customers and Vendors that result in happy, satisfied customers, happy and productive employees. And also a sizeable profitable technology organization.
An ALM solution can serve as an essential source of data for a variety of organizational metrics. ALM system strives to solve that vital problem – by providing both the customer and the delivery teams to work together continuously from the start to well beyond. It is to ensure that high quality, highly effective software is produced. Hence, this is to make business and customers more successful in what they do.